Getting Social with The Fall Color Report
Travel Wisconsin’s Fall Color Report is a great example of how you can connect with your customers on a deeper level by creating meaningful experiences. Ascedia changed Travel Wisconsin’s app from informative to engaging. Read on to see how we increased visits and engagement by encouraging user-generated content.
The Travel Wisconsin’s Fall Color Report is an interactive map that offers visitors the chance to find the best locations for viewing fall colors. It was time to take it to the next level by allowing users to not only find locations but to share their own experiences as well.
We built the functionality for visitors to submit a photo, tag a location, rate other user-submitted photos and share their activity on social networks. We also built in the functionality for system admins to moderate and approve all photo submissions. This created added value because Wisconsin Tourism staff to curate the photos and share their selections throughout TravelWisconsin.com and social media.
The Travel Wisconsin Fall Color Report was a big hit. More than 200 photos were submitted the first year, leading us to add the same feature to their Snow Conditions Report. The Fall Color Report was the most shared TravelWisconsin.com URL the year it launched:
- 1 million visits, up 39%
- Mobile visits up 200%
- Tablet visits up 139%
- Desktop visits up 7%
- 143,691 partner referrals
- Top viewed page in Fall (September-November)
- 626,398 pageviews, up 167%
- Nearby content activity up 88%
- 222 photos submitted
- +5,600 pageviews for shared photos & reports
- 970 social shares (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter)
- Most shared TravelWisconsin.com URL in 2013
- 2013 Communicator Gold Award of Excellence – Homepage
- 2013 Communicator Gold Award of Excellence – Structure & Navigation
- 2013 Communicator Gold Award of Excellence – Visual Appeal
- 2013 Communicator Silver Award of Distinction – Government
- The TravelWisconsin.com Fall Color Report is updated weekly between September and October each year.
Increase in Visits
The Fall Color Report hit one million visits in the first year.
970 Social Shares and 5,600+ page views for shared photos and reports
Increase in Nearby Activity
The Fall Report activity also increased link clicks to nearby dining, lodging, and things to do on the map by 88%.