Today’s Google Partners Connect webcast focused on creating an ideal user experience for mobile visitors. As we all know, mobile devices have made the most dramatic impact on the way people learn, shop, travel and communicate, and so it’s increasingly crucial to create a digital marketing strategy that accommodates mobile users.
REMOVE THE FRICTION
Statistics show that marketers lag consumers when it comes to mobile, with a significant disparity in where consumers are spending their time compared to where marketers are spending their money. It’s time to meet consumers on their phones and create frictionless experiences for your site visitors.
Often we inadvertently introduce friction into the path we want our visitors to take – and what seem like small hurdles for a user on a laptop or desktop can be a deal breaker on a mobile device. For example, why ask a user to fill out city, state and ZIP code on a form when the ZIP code can make the rest of the data auto populate? By making this simple tweak to your user experience, you can prevent visitors from abandoning the form altogether.
The driving forces behind consumer behavior are unchanged, but mobile devices have changed how we act and react. Today’s users experience:
• Immediacy of action – are able to easily act on any stimulus whenever we’re motivated to
• Higher expectations – for relevance and frictionless experiences
• Unscripted decisions – people are more loyal to a specific need in the moment than a brand
THE BIGGEST OPPORTUNITY LIES IN THE SMALLEST MOMENTS
In order for your brand to support the expectations of mobile users, it’s important to be present for the micro-moments. These are real-time, intent-driven opportunities for brands to shape consumer decisions. According to Google, here’s how:
- Be there – 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product while conducting search on mobile
- Be useful – 73% of consumers say that regularly getting useful info from an advertiser is the most important consideration when selecting a brand
- Be quick – 29% of smartphone users will immediately switch to another site or app if it’s too clumsy or slow
- Connect the dots – 62% of advertisers measure efficiency and effectiveness based on each specific channel or campaign
SPEED IS A FEATURE
According to recent research, speed is be the feature that users want the most. In order for visitors to quickly and easily meet their needs in these micro-moments, your site has to be able to keep up. Even a one or two-second delay can lead to frustration – and removing these delays can have a huge business impact. For example, when Mozilla increased their site performance by 2.2 seconds, downloads of Firefox increased 15.4%, or 10 million per year!
Google offers several tools to help you uncover the reasons for these delays and remove the friction from your mobile user experience. Google Analytics can tell you which pages are causing hang-ups in your user journey, while PageSpeed Insights can help web developers find out the exact cause of the issue on each page.
Think With Google offers a quick test that shows how well your site works across mobile and desktop devices. Simply plug your URL into the site and you’ll receive a report that shows you where you can make improvements. After the audit, pick just a few fixes to implement and then test those to ensure you’re making progress. Need help deciphering the results? Our team can help.
Click here to watch the Partners Connect webcast in its entirety.